What to expect
- Some delays to road, rail, air and ferry transport are likely
- Probably some bus and train services affected, with some journeys taking longer
- Delays for high-sided vehicles on exposed routes and bridges likely
- Some short term loss of power and other services is possible
- It’s likely that some coastal routes, sea fronts and coastal communities affected by spray and/or large waves
Despite the strongest of the winds associated with Storm Erik being across the north-west of the UK today, a swathe of strong south-westerly winds will bring gusts 50-60 mph to southern counties of England, initially across south-west England, but then affecting areas further east this afternoon. Winds easing from the west through the afternoon and evening.